Approved Travel Brokers (also referred to as salespersons) are governed by Rule 12 of the TAANZ Constitution and Rules.
TAANZ members can access Approved Travel Broker Application Forms, a summary of all the rules pertaining to Approved Travel Brokers and a suggested contract template for use between a member and an Approved Travel Broker from our document library.
These rules refer to criteria and conditions established from time to time by the Board of Directors, as follows:
CRITERIA FOR BECOMING AND REMAINING AN APPROVED TRAVEL BROKER
1. A person wishing to become an Approved Travel Broker shall complete and lodge with TAANZ an application. The application shall be on a form prepared by TAANZ. The applicant shall lodge the form together with an application fee, the amount of which shall be determined from time to time by the Board of Directors.
2. An applicant must demonstrate to the Board that the applicant is a fit and proper person to become an Approved Travel Broker. As such the applicant will be required to provide information as to the applicant’s qualifications, work experience and character. An applicant will be required to disclose any criminal convictions.
3. There shall be no requirement that an applicant have qualifications or previous work experience in the travel industry.
4. The Board shall have absolute and unfettered discretion as to whether to approve or decline an application and as to whether to remove an Approved Travel Broker from the Roll of Approved Travel Brokers maintained by TAANZ.
5. Once an applicant has been approved by the TAANZ Board and the requisite fees have been paid the applicant shall be entered on the Roll of Approved Travel Brokers maintained by TAANZ.
6. The TAANZ Board may at any time remove an Approved Travel Broker from the Roll of Approved Travel Brokers maintained by TAANZ and shall do so if it receives information which in the Board’s view establishes or may establish that an Approved Travel Broker is no longer a fit and proper person to be an Approved Travel Broker.
7. Any Approved Travel Broker who has had his/her name removed from the Roll of Approved Travel Brokerss may within 30 days of being notified of the decision lodge with TAANZ an application to have that decision reviewed by the Board. An applicant for review shall lodge with his/her application the evidence or material which he or she wishes the Board to consider in reviewing its decision.
CONDITIONS FOR ENGAGING APPROVED TRAVEL BROKERS
(i) Every TAANZ member who wishes to employ or engage a person as an Approved Travel Broker shall check with the TAANZ Secretariat to determine whether the person is currently entered on the Roll of Approved Travel Brokers maintained by TAANZ.
(ii) If the person is entered on the Roll of Approved Travel Brokers the TAANZ member wishing to employ or engage such person shall, before the Approved Salesperson commences work for the TAANZ member, notify TAANZ of the date that the Approved Salesperson is to commence work for the TAANZ member and shall pay in respect of such Approved Salesperson an annual fee which shall be fixed from time to time by the Board of Directors.
(iii) If the person is not currently a person entered on the Roll of Approved Travel Brokers maintained by TAANZ the TAANZ member cannot employ or engage such person as an Approved Travel Broker. Where this situation arises every TAANZ member who wishes to employ or engage such person as an Approved Travel Broker shall, prior to employing or engaging such person, ensure that the person completes and lodges with TAANZ an application form for approval as an approved Travel Broker and that the application is approved.
(iv) Every TAANZ member shall notify the TAANZ Secretariat when an Approved Travel Broker’s employment or engagement is terminated.
(v) TAANZ members employing or engaging Approved Travel Brokers shall comply with the requirement that the arrangement with the Approved Travel Broker be an exclusive one. Approved Travel Brokers are not permitted to work for more than one TAANZ member/travel agent at the one time.